This week a CFC crew uncovered a historical “Skagit Maid Ice Cream” sign on a project in Anacortes. “Skagit Maid Ice Cream” was originally “Evergreen Ice Cream”. The name and ownership changed in the early 1930’s. “Skagit Maid Ice Cream” was manufactured by the Anacortes Ice Company. The Anacortes Ice Company was established in 1906 at the foot of O Avenue on Curtis Dock. The business expanded by opening plants in Sedro-Woolley (1922- Sedro Ice Company) and Mt. Vernon (1942- Mt. Vernon Ice Company).
By the mid-1960s the plant delivered to all of Skagit County, Whidbey Island, and the San Juan Islands. The CFC crew was very excited to uncover a part of local history. Plans are in the works on preserving the antique sign.